Saturday, July 2, 2011

Dyed Rice

I was trying to figure out what to do with these glass bottles I kept from my grandmother's farmhouse. I had them in our upstairs guest bathroom, but with Tessa joining the family, we decided to kid-ify that bathroom. With few other places to put these bottles, I decided to keep them in the bathroom, but to add color to them. I read about dying rice and pasta and thought that would be a fun way to add color.
I measured out the rice in the jars, then put that rice into a glass bowl (use glass or metal or else you'll stain your plastic). Add about 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol per 1 cup of rice. Add drops of desired food color. Mix until all rice is coated and the color you want.
I then covered cookie sheets with one layer of plastic wrap, then with about 3 layers of newspaper (I was afraid the dye would leak through the paper and I didn't want to ruin my cookie sheets!). I laid the pans in the sun to dry, which they did rather quickly.
I kept them out there for a few hours, then transfered them back into the jars. I love it and the colors match perfectly to our new frog themed bathroom!

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea too. I wish I had jars from Grandma. :( Maybe I will look at antique places, but I also thought about using jars and putting sand from the different beaches we visit and labeling them. Hmm...maybe both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom still has the jars for you, you could get them when you come up at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers